Victoria has been home to many world firsts, inventions and innovations. The
list compiled so far includes:
- Victoria was the first Australian Colony to have its own flag. It was also
the first place to lay claim to the Southern Cross as it's emblem.
- The Secret Ballot. A system where votes are cast privately and without the
possibility of knowing for whom individual people voted. It is known in the
United States as the Victorian ballot because it was first introduced in
Victoria in 1856.
- 1858 Football - In 1858 Tom Will
and Henry Harrison wrote the first ten rules of Football, thus
becoming the first people in the world to codify a kicking-ball game. These
rules predate those of Rugby, Soccer and Gridiron. Football may have been
inspired by the Aboriginal jumping/kicking game of Marn Grook.
- The Dim Sim, was invented by Chinese
gold miners turned chef in Bendigo in the 1880's
- The forerunner of the television. It was invented by Henry Sutton
- 1889 Electric Drill - Arthur James
Arnot, patented the world's first electric drill on 20 August 1889 while
he was an employee of the Union Electric Company in Melbourne. He designed
it primarily to drill rock and to dig coal.
- 1906 Feature film - The world's first
feature length film, The Story of the Kelly Gang, was a little over
an hour long.
- 1917 Aspro - A pain reliever based on aspirin was developed in
Melbourne by George Nicholas. By 1940 it had become the world's most
widely used headache and pain treatment.
- 1922 Vegemite - One of the world's
richest sources of vitamin B, vegemite was invented by
P. Callister. It is made by the autolysis of expired brewer's
yeast: a process where the yeast's own enzymes break it down.
- 1958 Black box flight recorder - The
'black box' voice and instrument data recorder was invented by Dr David
Warren in Melbourne.
- 1979 Bionic ear - The cochlear implant was invented by Professor
Graeme Clark of the University of Melbourne.
- 1984 Frozen embryo baby- The world's
first frozen embryo baby was born in Melbourne on 28 March 1984
- Victoria is home to the worlds oldest airport,
at Point Cook.